Example Image

In our class this year we focused on how social and cultural environments and expectations affect the success of the Boston youth. As a class we wanted to know how people were affected by this problem, what caused it, and how they dealt with it. We noticed that there environment, such as race, the type of neighborhoods they live in, the different schools that they go to, and many other factors, influence many youth. Sometimes, because of these influences, students’ lives are deeply affected in negative and positive ways.  We wanted to look at the different scenarios that affected students’ lives and levels of success. These problems were caused because people were placed or categorized in different levels of success and achievements based on the environments they were surrounded by. It is important that this problem be addressed because it affects people’s success in life, and how not only how others view them, but how they view themselves. The research was necessary, particularly by youth because youth are the ones that are mainly being affected by this problem and it influences their lives. It is best to do the research from their perspective since they are the ones being affected.

I focused particularly on how public and private school environments affect youth access. I chose this question because I believe that the type of school environments that they are exposed to affects youth. Doing research on this specific question would give me different perspectives on public school environments and private school environments.

To me at first I believe that there are major differences between public and private school environments. From my perspective I believed that private schools are more funded, and were more well ran than public schools. Students in private schools appreciate their education more because they pay for it. The teachers really care about you and you get better opportunities. In public schools education is free and taken for granted. Student tends to skylark more and not take advantage of the resources provided for them. I was expecting to find evidence to support my hypothesis and my point of view towards my question. This is because that was what I was hearing my whole life about the comparison of private and public schools.