Example Image

CONTRIBUTION TO COMMUNITY

In my CBO (community based organization) site I was able to learn and take action in a lot of community contributions. In class we discussed the matters that occurred in Dudley and I got the opportunity to go there as community based organization. The community placement site that I intended was DSNI (Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative) located on Dudley Street in the heart of Roxbury.  During the 1980's, residents and youths in Dudley were sick of being treated as if they did not count as a community, so they became active in making it a better a community. Dudley is a neighborhood located in the heart of Roxbury, where poverty is the norm, and is filled numerous vacant lots and burned down homes. The residents created a group called (Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative) also known as DSNI, that would help restore their community. In defense, the elected DSNI leaders got the city to grant them the power to rebuild the neighborhood. They set up meetings and neighborhood activities to help their community. Tenants were tired of outside experts trying to solve their problems so they took a lead in decision making.